Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The whys and wherefores

This move is the opposite of the one that I made to Denmark in a number of ways. Firstly, as I say in my profile, that was made for work and this move is for love. Secondly, the decision to move to Copenhagen was made in split second and the time between that decision and arriving was not that much longer (six weeks, as I remember); this one will be a grand total of 15 months (if all goes to plan and we’re in Stockholm by Christmas). And thirdly, I have a little more idea about the country that I’m headed for this time around, rather than just some idealistic views garnered from work colleagues and Hans Christian Andersen…

The past eight or so months have been spent trying to keep quiet about my big news, and the month after I talked to work about it? Well, that has been spent trying not to worry. Once it was out in the open I started reading more and more websites about moving, particularly ones about moving to Sweden, and that is when I started to get nervous – there are a hell of a lot of statistics out there and not all of them make for positive reading. And that is the thing that does not make sense; this is not the first time that I am moving, so why am I getting myself so worked up about it not working out? Is it the time that I have to think about it, or that the move to here was initially just for six months, whereas this is permanent?

Too much time on my hands, methinks.